Types of residential buildings
- A house with a garden is called a detached house.
- When two houses are built into one, that is a semi-detached house.
- When many houses are built into one in a long row, we call it a terraced house.
- In Britain, people say flat, while in the USA they call it an apartment.
- A huge building with many flats is called a block of flats.
- Very tall buildings with mostly offices are called skyscrapers.
- A tiny flat with room combined with a kitchen is called a studio flat.
- When the rooms of a house are rented to different people, who have to share the bathroom and the kitchen, they live in a bedsit.
- A place where you keep animals and grow vegetables is a cottage.
- A large and luxurious seaside place is called a villa.
- A large and luxurious non-seaside place is called a mansion.
- Orphans live in orphanages.
- Retirement homes are built for lonely old people.
- University students live on campuses.
- Students who come from far away live in dormitories.(dormitory)
|detached house||kertes ház|
|flat / apartment||lakás|
|block of flats||tömbház|
|retirement home||öregek otthona|